Friday, February 6, 2009

End of Editors' Training workshop



Last Day of Editors’ workshop

Five days of intensive training workshop for editors in Dar es Salaam that I chanced to be one of the participants marked a memorable milestone or momentous opportunity in my computer knowledge. I am fifty times more enlightened on the subject than ever before.

The workshop conducted by Peik Jahansson, who is a seasoned Journalist and Training Consultant from Finland in collaboration with MISA- Tanzania at the Tanzania Global Development Centre, focused on “Journalism in the age of internet”.

Lessons provided throughout the learning period proved to be absolutely relevant to all of us as questions and doubts on ways to go about searching for information from various sources were answered adequately.

The following is a list of lessons that I personally gained during the five days of the workshop that I believe was conducted not only in a scholarly and professional way but also organized at the opportune time.

I learnt about what I can sum up as “Prepared Mind” meaning before laying a hand on a computer say searching for information one needs to be well focused. We need to know exactly what to look for to avoid unnecessary drifting of minds.

Now I know that Google is one of the best sources of information which can lead us to several other sources in order to obtain detailed information on the subject and perhaps the other side of it for the best record.

Truly accessibility to up-to-date information and the associated background which could have taken two days of search in the library is now possible through the internet and this allows extensive browsing over reliance on a single source.

Waaoh, I am extremely delighted and grateful to the organizers as I have been able to open my own blog. I am a Blogger effective this week.

Previously I had no one to teach me on the relevance of have a blog, the achievement that has added advantage and important working tool as a journalist.

Also I have learnt about posting or publishing stories in my blog and managed to post photo, the level of achievement that never registered before.

The lesson on ways to avoid plagiarism captured my imagination bearing in mind that plagiarism puts one in professional shame and therefore should be avoided at any cost.

Surely someone’s work could provide a good source of information but attribution is necessary when quoted. The Internet has really changed the world of information sharing across the continents.

Personally I don’t have any reservations for this wonderful learning opportunity given to us for the fact that the combination of participants from various media houses is commendable as gave a chance to media practitioners to exchange and share ideas more freely. Besides, contributions from fellow bloggers starting with fellow journalist will make a big difference in our carrier.

Thank for everything

Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment